That got me thinking….why should a reader venture out to the new Indie (Independent) Book world? There are lots of reasons, but here are five to start.
1. Shows like American Idol and X Factor have taught us there is a lot of amazing, artistic talent out there that people are not offered via traditional routes. The new self-publishing opportunities allow writers to now be judged by the audience that should be the judge: readers.
2. Self-published books are typically a less expensive risk to purchase because an Indie Author doesn’t have all the overhead expenses that go in to producing and promoting a big publishing house book. In fact, many Indie Authors will offer discounts for book groups or free books in exchange for honest reviews on websites like Goodreads and Book Retailers Online sites. Go ahead, don’t be shy, contact them via their websites.
3. You might learn something interesting or have a different reading experience. Indie authors are publishing books in all genres about all different subjects based on their expertise, passions, or unique creative perspectives. While your tried and true authors are fun to re-experience, why not break out and try something new?
4. Look at the stack of books sitting by your bedside, up on the shelves collecting dust, with tabs at page 49, abandoned. Were all those traditionally published books good?
5. Indie Authors will really, really appreciate you reading their book! And you will be helping to cultivate the art of writing so their will be more to reads to choose from.
What are your thoughts on this? Please feel free to comment. :)